Friday, May 4, 2012

Friends

My grandma has been battling many health issues for quite some time now. Obesity, diabetes, and many others. She's been in and out of hospitals and rehab centers for the past 6 years. In the past three years, she usually goes to both about two or three times a year.

My grandma could write a book on me. She knows all of my secrets. She knows everything bad I've ever done in my life. And she's kept a good 95% of it a secret from my dad. At one point in time, she was living with us. And we had our off days, but she was my best friend. I told her everything. We stayed up late and talked. I made her laugh a lot.

We loved watching tv together. We also liked to sit outside on the back patio when it was warm out. Just quietly. Enjoying the company of eachother.

Last night, at her recent rehab center, she went unresponsive and was rushed to the hospital. They worked on her for two hours. She's stabilized now, but it really doesn't look good. I feel so bad for her because she doesn't want to be here. I know she doesn't. She told me. And I understand that. She's so old and she can barely walk and she has terrible health. She knows that it puts a lot on everybody else and she never wanted that. She misses Grandpa Al and she wants to be with him again. I know I'll miss her if she goes, but it's what she wants. She wasn't supposed to be resuscitated. The rehab center had her sign something that was supposed to be translated to helping her if she falls or has a minor heart attack or something. But she was supposed to be DNR. It's what she's wanted for awhile. I don't want her to suffer anymore. If she's still with us at the end of the day, I'll go see her. I don't know what I'll say. I'm not very good at these kinds of things. I do know that, no matter what, whether she's here or there, she'll always be my friend. I love you, Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment